These easy, tender, smokey Traeger Smoked Short Rib Bites are one of our favorite ways to cook short ribs! We use the ribs that are cut in smaller 2-3 inch sections and fire up the smoker. These aren’t fast, but they are relatively hands-off, and very difficult to screw up.
Traeger Smoked Beef Short Rib Bites
Of all of the different cuts of beef, short ribs hold such a special place in my heart. When cooked properly, they are some of the most delicious pieces on the cow. My Braised Beef Short Ribs are usually what I turn to, since I am such a fan of roast beef and gravy, but lately the impressive Thor’s Hammer has come onto the scene in a big way and I can see why. We’ve even done some pretty amazing Korean-style Kalbi Beef Short Ribs on the Traeger that I still think about.
Sometimes you don’t want a big heavy meal though, or want to serve something more snackable or passable for a party or cookout. That’s where short rib bites come in to save the day. Big beefy barbecue flavor in small, holdable portions?
Smoked Short Rib Bites shopping list
Wondering if you have to hit the store? Here’s the list of items you’ll need to make this recipe. For specific amounts, please refer to the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- beef short ribs
- beef bbq rub
- beef broth
How to make Smoked Short Rib Bites
This is just the overview so you can see what you’re actually getting into here. When you are cooking, you’ll want to use the full recipe at the bottom of the page.
Preheat your smoker to 220°F.
Season and Smoke
Season the short ribs liberally with your favorite beef bbq rub. Smoke for about 2 hours directly on the grill grates.
Wrap & Grill
Make a double-layered foil pouch and place the ribs inside. Top with pats of butter and pour in the beef broth. Seal up the pouch and put back on the grill. Increase the temperature to 325°F. Cook until tender.
Paint & Set
Once the ribs are tender, remove from the pouch and paint with your favorite barbecue sauce. Put back on the grill for 10 minutes to set the sauce.
Enjoy as a snack or a main dish. They should be smokey, tender, and amazing.
Traeger Smoked Beef Short Rib Bites FAQ
How do you store leftovers?
These are best stored in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days in the fridge.
What’s the best way to reheat leftovers?
We’ve used the microwave successfully to reheat these. I’d recommend pulling them off the bone first.
More tender Traeger Beef recipes
More recipes to enjoy!
- 3 pounds beef short ribs
- 2 tablespoons beef bbq rub
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Preheat your smoker to 220°F.
- Season the short ribs with the rub. Our suggested rubs are below, but you can use whatever you have on hand too.
- Place the meat directly on the grill grates and smoke for 2 hours.
- Make a double-layered foil pouch and place the meat inside. Top with the pats of butter, and pour the beef broth in the bottom. Seal tightly, and place back on the grill.
- Increase the temperature to 325°F and continue to cook the short ribs until they are fork tender. That could take anywhere from 1-3 hours, depending on your specific cuts of meat, the external temperature, and your grill. You can probe right through the foil, or carefully open the pouch to check and reseal once you are done.
- Remove from the grill and paint with your favorite barbecue sauce.
- Place back on the grill for 10-15 minutes to “set” the sauce, and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 754Total Fat: 58gSaturated Fat: 27gTrans Fat: 4gUnsaturated Fat: 30gCholesterol: 245mgSodium: 255mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 59g
Nutrition data provided here is only an estimate.
Espresso and Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies
This Joseph Joseph Adjustable Dish Drying Mat Is Perfect for Small Spaces
Nigerian Beef Stew Recipe