These delicious thyme-seasoned Roasted Carrots and Mushrooms are a perfect side dish for a special meal! And we used a lot of mushrooms with the carrots, so this is much lower in carbs than you might be thinking!
I do believe that cooked carrots deserve more respect, and personally I think this combination of Roasted Carrots and Mushrooms would be a lovely side dish for a special dinner.
You may think of carrots as being high in sugar, but adding the mushrooms to this combination makes the total dish much lower lower in carbs. And when we updated the photos for this popular recipe, we used even more mushrooms, so please check the net carbs if you’re skeptical and see what you think!
Roasted carrots are really tasty alone, but roasted mushrooms are so delicious too and thyme is the perfect seasoning for the carrot and mushroom combination! And of course adding mushrooms makes this more elegant than just regular roasted carrots, and I bet this would be a hit for a side dish, even for a holiday meal.
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
(This is ONLY a list of ingredients for the recipe; please scroll down for complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the complete recipe.)
- sliced mushrooms
- extra virgin Olive Oil (affiliate link)
- Dried Thyme (affiliate link), or use fresh thyme if you have some
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- parsley for garnish (optional)
What mushrooms did we use for Roasted Carrots and Mushrooms?
We used brown Cremini mushrooms for this recipe, and sliced them thick to roast them with the carrots. But any mushrooms you like will be fine.
Can you use baby carrots to make Roasted Carrots and Mushrooms?
Of course you *can* use what are called baby carrots for this recipe, but I think thin organic carrots are definitely better in flavor. But if peeling and cutting up the carrots just isn’t happening at your house, the baby carrots will also be delicious cooked this way.
How can you make this recipe lower in carbs?
For the updated recipe we used more mushrooms to make the total dish lower in carbs, and if you check the nutritional information you might be surprised to see that this recipe has only 6 net carbs per serving! If you want to make it even lower in carbs just use even more mushrooms and even fewer carrots!
How to Make Roasted Carrots and Mushrooms:
(This is ONLY a summary of the steps for the recipe; please scroll down for complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the complete recipe.)
- Peel the carrots (or not, if you prefer.)
- Slice carrots on the diagonal into even slices about 1/4 – 3/8 inch thick.
- Toss the carrots with 1 T olive oil. salt, pepper, and 1 T of fresh thyme (or a smaller amount of dried thyme.)
- Spread out carrots in a single layer on a roasting pan that you’ve brushed with a little olive oil and roast for 15 minutes.
- While the carrots roast, wash mushrooms, spin dry or dry with paper towels, and slice into even slices, slightly thicker than the carrots.
- Use the same bowl you tossed the carrots in, and toss mushrooms with the rest of the olive oil.
- After 15 minutes, stir carrots, add mushrooms, stir again and roast 10-15 minutes more.
- Cook until carrots are browned and tender and mushrooms are cooked and all liquid has evaporated.
- Serve Roasted Carrots and Mushrooms hot, sprinkled with fresh parsley if desired.
More Roasted Vegetables You Might Like:
- 4 large carrots
- 16 oz mushrooms
- 2 1/2 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme (see notes)
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- fresh chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450F/230C.
- Peel carrots if desired. Cut carrots on diagonal into slices about 1/4 – 3/8 inch thick.
- Toss carrots with 1 T olive oil, dried thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Spread carrots on large roasting pan that you sprayed or brushed with a little olive oil. (The pan should be big enough that the carrots are in a single layer).
- Roast carrots 15 minutes.
- While carrots are roasting, wash mushrooms (if needed) and spin dry or dry with paper towels. Slice mushrooms into even slices, slightly thicker than carrots.
- Using the same bowl as you tossed the carrots in, toss mushrooms with 1 1/2 T of olive oil.
- Remove carrots from oven, stir, add mushrooms and roast 10-15 minutes more.
- Serve hot, sprinkled with fresh parsley if using.
I used 4 medium-sized organic carrots which was about one pound of carrots.
If you have fresh thyme I would use about 1 tablespoon fresh thyme.
This recipe was created by Kalyn.
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 125Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 175mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 3g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Carrots might seem high in carbs for low-carb eating plans, but adding mushrooms lowers the total carbs per serving in these Roasted Carrots and Mushrooms. Check the nutritional information and see what you think. This would be a great side dish for phase 2 or 3 of the original South Beach Diet.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Side Dishes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on Facebook, on Instagram, on TikTok, or on YouTube to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
Historical Notes for this Recipe:
This recipe was first posted in 2006, and it’s been really popular on the blog! It was last updated with better photos and more information in 2022.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.