Learn how to make this low-carb yet delicious eggplant pizza loaded with flavor. Ready in minutes, you can serve it as an appetizer or main dish!
Pizza is hard to resist for anyone.
Seriously, if it could be its own food group, I would be a big advocate of it.
As someone who loves a good pizza, I open to trying it out in fun and creative ways. These include making it crustless, using cauliflower as a base, or even cutting the carbs completely.
For something different, I love to swap out a standard crust for an eggplant crust.
What is eggplant pizza?
Eggplant pizza is a healthy alternative to regular pizza as it contains much fewer calories and carbs.It is made with roasted eggplant rounds topped with your favorite pizza toppings. It comes together in no time and is a fun way to satisfy the fast food cravings!
Why you’ll love this eggplant pizza recipe
- Healthy. Eggplant pizza provides fewer carbs and calories, and is rich in minerals, vitamins, and fibers required for good health.
- Tastes like regular pizza. Topped with pizza sauce and plenty of cheese, you won’t be able to tell the crust is made with eggplant!
- Suitable for weight loss. Eggplant pizza is great to include in your diet if you are losing weight. It’s low calorie but super filling.
- Easy to make. You’ll need simple ingredients that you probably have in your kitchen right this second!
There are just 5 main ingredients to make this recipe. Like any good pizza, you can customize it any way you like. Here is everything you’ll need:
- Eggplant. Choose a large eggplant so thick slices can be cut.
- Olive oil. Or any neutral flavored oil. This is used to pre-roast the eggplant.
- Pizza sauce. Use your favorite jarred sauce or try a homemade pizza sauce (that is low carb!).
- Vegetables. We used mushrooms, bell peppers, and onions, but any toppings work.
- Cheese. A mix of mozzarella cheese and provolone cheese yields a better melt.
- Seasonings. Italian seasonings, salt and pepper.
How to make eggplant pizza?
Making a pizza with an eggplant crust is super simple: just remember to slice the eggplant into equal thickness so they cook evenly. The key steps are as follows (or skip straight to the recipe below):
- Preheat: Preheat the oven to 200C/400F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Prep the eggplant: Slice the eggplant lengthways, around 1/3 inch in thickness. Rub some olive oil on both sides of the eggplant slices and place them on a lined baking sheet and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake the eggplant: Bake eggplant for 12-15 minutes, or until soft in the middle.
- Add toppings: Spread a layer of pizza sauce on the eggplant rounds, then sprinkle some cheese. Add your toppings of choice then add more cheese.
- Cook the eggplant pizza: Turn the oven to a broil setting and broil the eggplant pizzas for 5-10 minutes, or until the cheese melts.
Is eggplant good on a low carb diet?
Eggplant is a fantastic low carb vegetable as it contains very few carbs. Per one cup serving, there are just 3 grams of net carbs. Besides being deficient in carbs, it provides you with fibers, vitamins, and minerals that are good for your health.
Using it as a pizza base works well, as it doesn’t have anywhere near as many carbs as a crust made with dough contains.
Some other low carb eggplant recipes include eggplant lasagna and eggplant parmesan.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Avoid adding too many toppings on eggplant crust because it’s softer than traditional dough and can break.
- Choose larger eggplants so that larger eggplant rounds can be sliced.
- Do not peel the eggplant as the skin helps hold the pizza together and prevents them from tearing.
- Swap the sauce for barbecue sauce, alfredo sauce, or even a cheese sauce.
- Add pesto for a hit of flavor. We like using a pesto with walnuts or a sun-dried tomato version.
- Swap the vegetables and top with zucchini, garlic, grape tomatoes and more.
- Add protein like sliced chicken breast, smoked salmon, or even seasoned shrimp.
What to serve with eggplant pizza
This eggplant crust pizza is a meal in itself, but you can serve it with your favorite salads or simple vegetable side dishes.
What is the best way to store leftovers? Here are best practices for eggplant pizza storage:
- To store: You can store leftovers in air-tight containers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To freeze: Use freezer-safe airtight bags or containers to freeze eggplant pizza for up to 3 months.
- Reheating: Always reheat the pizza in a preheated oven.
More fun pizza recipes to try
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, soak the eggplant before baking to avoid a bitter flavor and want a creamy texture.
You can add salt over the sliced eggplant to remove moisture from the vegetable and prevent it from being soggy.
There are just 4 grams net carbs per eggplant pizza, making it a fantastic keto dinner idea.
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese divded
- 1/2 cup provolone cheese divided
- 1/4 cup mushrooms chopped
- 1/4 cup onions chopped
- 1/2 cup bell peppers diced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasonings
Preheat the oven to 200C/400F. Slice the eggplant lengthways (the long side) into 1⁄3 inch slices.
Brush both sides of the eggplant with olive oil and place them on a lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and bake for 12-15 minutes, until the eggplant is cooked and soft.
Spread marinara sauce on each eggplant, and sprinkle with some of both shredded cheeses. Add the onions, mushrooms, and bell peppers, and sprinkle generously with the remaining cheese. Sprinkle with Italian seasonings.
Set the oven to the broil setting and bake for 5-10 minutes, or until the cheese is golden and melted.
Remove the eggplant pizzas from the oven and serve immediately.
TO FREEZE: Use freezer-safe airtight bags or containers to freeze eggplant pizza for up to 3 months.
TO REHEAT: Always reheat the pizza in a preheated oven.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 105kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 6g | Sodium: 530mg | Potassium: 249mg | Fiber: 3g | Vitamin A: 523IU | Vitamin C: 15mg | Calcium: 218mg | Iron: 1mg | NET CARBS: 3g